Sweater Gamefowl

Popular Gamefowl Breeds, Bloodlines and Strains: A Quick Guide


Claret Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Clarets are mostly straight combs, black breasted and wine red in color. They also possess wings and tails that have white streaks and usually white legged. While having a broad back and compact built, their weight ranges from 1.9 to 2.3 kgs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Clarets are accurate cutters, single strokers, fast and clever. They are also known to break high, possess deep game and are clever. They are also hard hitting and aggressive.


Kelso Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Kelsos are straight comb and of usually white leg, while some have yellow legs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Originated by Mr. Walter Kelso. Kelsos are known to be high breakers with good timing; high stationed with sleek legs. Kelsos are also known to be powerful game cocks with deep game, aside from having good breaking ability with broader chest.


Boston Roundhead Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Roundheads exhibits black spurs and are peacombs. Majority have yellow legs, but they also have white legs. They have red eyes with wheaten or pale yellow hackle. They are medium to high stationed with an average weight of 2 to 2.4 kgs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Roundheads are smart with side stepping capabilities because of their agility. They are also aggressive, fast fighter and deadly. They are also known to be strong and possess devastating leg power.

Trivia: Roundheads origin is oriental fowl, either from India or Pakistan.


Brown Red Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Brown-Reds are dark red in color, and are either straight or peacomb. Some have black tipped hackled feathers and their feet are speckled with dark spots and some have dark legs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Brown-Reds are known to be multiple shufflers that possess great speed.


Lemon Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Lemons are either straight or peacombed, light yellow red in color and are either medium or low stationed. 70% are yellow legged, while the remaining 30% have white legs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Lemons are known to be accurate cutters with good timing. They are regarded as an intelligent bird with weaving abilities.

Trivia: Lemons are composed of blended blue-faced hatch, white hackle and clarets.


Kearney Whitehackle Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Whitehackles are straight combed with red eyes and are medium stationed. While 90% are yellow red in color, the remaining 10% are spangled, mustard colored hackles. They possess broad shoulders, compact built and with heavy plumage, having an average weight of 2 to 2.4 kgs.

Genotype Characteristics:

White hackles are known to be good cutters, and can fight in any position available due to their agility and shiftiness. They are strong and hard hitting game cocks. They are also known for their power and devastating leg kicks and breaks high with deep game.

Trivia: Considered as the most beautiful gamefowl and was bred by Mr. Michael Kearney in 1871.


Madigin Grey Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Greys are straight combed and medium stationed. They possess silver hackles and saddle feathers, and either black or grey speckle breasted. Greys have red or copper colored eyes with an average weight of 2 or 2.6 kgs.

Genotype Characteristics:

Greys are aggressive and hard hitting game cocks. They are also known to be deadly cutters.


Albany Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Albanies are mostly light red with black breast streaked with ginger color, while majority are yellow legged, around 90%., and are mostly pea combed. They also sometimes come out with black spurs. The hens are pale yellow or wheaten in color.


Dark-legged Hatch Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Hatches come in medium to low stations and with glossy, long and tough feathers. It is sub-divided into straight and pea comb. They may also come in green or blue legs with dark red hackles. They also may have piercing red eyes.

Genotype Characteristics:

Hatches are aggressive, fast fighters and deadly cutters. Considered as ground fighters and low headed. Hatches hit very hard and are known for their deep gameness.


Yellow-Legged Hatch Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

While it is 100% yellow legged, it is 70% straight combed and 30% pea combed. This gamecock is light red in color and black breasted.

Genotype Characteristics:

These gamecocks are deadly cutters, have deep game and possess very powerful legs and has good endurance.

Trivia: A cross between a blue face hatch of Sandy Hatch, Whitehackle and Boston Roundhead.


Asil Gamefowl

Phenotype Characteristics:

Asils are pea combed and are scantly feathered. They come in black and red, yellowish-white skin. They also come in yellow legs, broad shoulders, short beaks, and very prominent wings.

Genotype Characteristics:

Known from its immense power, but are considered very slow.

Trivia: Also called as Indian Fowls, originated from India or Pakistan. Good on naked heels.

Regresar al blog

Deja un comentario

Ten en cuenta que los comentarios deben aprobarse antes de que se publiquen.